Public Relations (Full-time, permanent) – Toronto, ON
The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is one of the most renowned cultural institutions in North America and home to an extraordinary collection of art, culture and nature from around the world and across the ages. In 2016/17, the ROM welcomed more than 1.35 million visitors, representing the highest attendance of any single museum in Canada and ranking 9th in North America. As a contemporary Museum, the ROM continues to evolve, re-imagine itself and embrace innovation. The ROM is focused on deepening its connection with visitors; animating the museum experience; opening its doors wider to communities; and being a catalyst for new ideas.
Reporting to the Manager, Communications, you will be responsible for developing and executing strategic communications plans to support the Museum’s priorities and objectives. You will execute high-impact strategic and creative PR campaigns to build awareness and audiences for the Museum’s key exhibitions, events and related initiatives. You will prepare communication materials and collateral, including press releases, strategic positioning, executive briefings, backgrounders, remarks, and fact sheets. You will plan and project manage the execution of relevant events, including large-scale press events, photo ops, etc. You will support the Museum’s content strategy, working cross functionally with various departments, secure editorial coverage and interviews on key initiatives and breaking news stories, actively maintain and grow the stakeholder database, track media coverage and earned media value, and deliver campaign reports on key initiatives. You will also assist in responding to communications issues as they arise and support the AVP and Communications Manager on special projects as required.
In addition to a Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent in Journalism, Communications or Public Relations, and a minimum of five years of experience developing and executing highly successful integrated communications campaigns that deliver on objectives, you bring:
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to adapt narratives to the identified/targeted medium and audience
- Demonstrated success in media relations and effective pitching, with an extensive knowledge of key media organizations
- Experience in PR project management, event management, budget planning and issues management
- A strategic thinker with strong planning and problem-solving skills
- Proven track record managing complex project time lines, with the ability to complete work accurately and on time
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, dealing with people at all levels of the organization
- Strong knowledge of PR principles and practices
- Affinity for embracing new communications trends, technology and tools in an evolving media and communications landscape.
SALARY RANGE: $62,823 – $71,798 per annum
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter, preferably by e-mail, by 5 p.m., January 30, 2018, to: Mara Gunner, Human Resources & Organizational Development, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen’s Park Crescent, Toronto, ON M5S 2C6. Fax: 416-586-5827. E-mail: email@example.com (quoting Competition #2017-090 Senior Publicist in the subject line).
The ROM is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Upon request, suitable accommodations are available under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) to applicants invited to an interview.